Thursday, June 21, 2012

Allergy friendly chocolate cake

Chocolate cake free from dairy, gluten, wheat, eggs, soy and nuts - the true allergy friendly chocolate cake!
A friend of mine posted on facebook tonight answering a plea for a gluten and dairy free cake with my name! Knowing I have had to deal with so many allergies and intolerances these past 7 years with 3 kids to make birthday cakes for she knew I would have one.

Of all the recipes I keep coming back to it is one from the New Zealand Allergy cookbook because it always seems to work. We are now Failsafe as well as gluten, dairy and nut free. Trialling eggs at the moment so I actually used eggs this time rather than egg replacer and have to say the cake took a little longer than the recommended 40min to cook and I'm in a rental and it is only the second cake I have baked in this oven! (I didn't have any glucose syrup so I used rice malt syrup instead, I also used carob powder instead of cocoa powder and I used Nuttelex for my dairy free margarine)

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup sunflower oil or 125g dairy-free margarine
2 tsp egg replacer mixed with 2 tbsp of water
3 tbsp golden syrup
2 cups rice flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup rice milk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder (wheat free)

1. Preheat oven to 180oC
2. Lightly grease a 20-22cm ring tin
3. Cream sugar and oil in a large bowl for a couple of minutes
4. Blend egg replacer with golden syrup, then add to sugar and oil mixture
5. Sift in flour and cocoa powder
6. Add milk with baking soda dissolved in it
7. Then add baking powder and mix together
8. Pour into prepared cake tin
9. Bake for 40minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. 



No comments:

Post a Comment